Friday, March 13, 2015

Rest Assured

I have the day off on a Friday - 3 day week-end! Normally I like to make plans when I have an extra day to spend with my friends or family. I try to remain flexible so I can pick up new work on the fly whenever possible. Last night I contacted my friends but of course they have already made plans, and it kind of frustrated me. But it got me thinking. Maybe I am looking at this all wrong.
You see, most of the time I am like the Energizer bunny. Boom boom boom! Constantly doing something and trying to keep a bunch of plates spinning at the same time. I run a small tech business you can visit here. Recently, I was sick for about 3 days straight and I couldn't figure out what it was. My head and chest were freaking out with symptoms resembling an allergic reaction, and I tried treating it as such. Right in the middle of it, one of the plates I had spinning came crashing down due to a partner backing out of a project. This was a shock at first, but then a relief because suddenly I didn't need to focus time and energy on it.

This was in fact exactly what I needed, as I started feeling better almost immediately. The next morning my fever had broken and I had finally gotten a good night's rest for the first time in a few days. Perhaps I had taken on one too many projects and the 'allergic reaction' was partly brought on by stress. Looking back, I hadn't slept through the night for several weeks prior because I was staying up too late burning the midnight oil.

I get it now. Sometimes I can be too intense and stretch myself thin. Even to the breaking point, apparently! Lesson learned. I'm not a spring chicken anymore. So, it is Friday and I am starting this 3 day week-end right. I slept in until 10:30 this morning! Felt good to get some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment